Sep 20, 2010

The Minolta Years - Christmas in Venice, 1978 (Part One)

..


Way back in 1978, my ex-wife and I took the chance of having some vacation time, and decided to drive down to Venice to spend Christmas season over there. Jorge, our oldest sun, was almost one year old, and we brought him along.

In those years, one could still sometimes enjoy Venice free of multilingual crowds flooding all the place.

In fact, I hardly remember someone not speaking Italian, but ourselves (we did speak by then a strange kind of mix of English, German dialect, Portuguese, and who knows what more... I guess that no one could really understand us...).












Venice was mostly a magical place full of charm and quietness on those winter days, and I believe that the (bad?) characteristics of the film material of those times actually helps to mirror and accentuate the feelings and sensations that one could experience crossing those thousands of bridges over those thousands of canals.

Time could stand still amidst the haze floating over the lagoon, you could levitate and melt with the mist, becoming part of the mistery surrounding you.








Like any other town, Venice is not only made of harmony and pretty colored postcards.

Struggle for survival and death happen like everywhere else, and I am glad that I felt enough attracted by everything I saw, so much that I felt the wish to document it.

I did try to shape my photographs with true colors...

The colors of life!







All photographs made with Minolta cameras and lenses
Light meters by Minolta
Kodak Ektachrome film


“Have You Ever Been (to Electric Ladyland)”
Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?
The magic carpet waits for you so don't you be late
Oh, (I wanna show you) the different emotions
(I wanna run to) the sounds and motions
Electric woman waits for you and me
So it's time we take a ride, we can cast all of your hang-ups over
the seaside
While we fly right over the love filled sea
Look up ahead, I see the loveland, soon you'll understand.

Make love, make love, make love, make love.

The angels will spread their wings, spread their wings
Good and evil lay side by side while electric love penetrates the sky
Lord, Lord I wanna show you
Hmm, hmmm, hmmm
Show you.

(Words and music by Jimi Hendrix)
From the album “Electric Ladyland” by THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE, 1968
..

1 comment:

  1. People look at images on the internet all the time. Sometimes they are moved, inspired or delighted by them. I am sure many have been when they looked at your images. I am just one who has taken the time to tell you so. Thank you, for the lovely moments.

    ReplyDelete