May 1, 2009

International Worker's Day - (Gandolfi Precision 8x10)

..

I dedicate this post to all the immigrants
 








"I Pity the Poor Immigrant" - Bob Dylan


I pity the poor immigrant
Who wishes he would've stayed home,
Who uses all his power to do evil
But in the end is always left so alone.
That man whom with his fingers cheats
And who lies with ev'ry breath,
Who passionately hates his life
And likewise, fears his death.

I pity the poor immigrant
Whose strength is spent in vain,
Whose heaven is like Ironsides,
Whose tears are like rain,
Who eats but is not satisfied,
Who hears but does not see,
Who falls in love with wealth itself
And turns his back on me.

I pity the poor immigrant
Who tramples through the mud,
Who fills his mouth with laughing
And who builds his town with blood,
Whose visions in the final end
Must shatter like the glass.
I pity the poor immigrant
When his gladness comes to pass.



(From the album “John Wesley Harding” - 1967)

 
 
The above photograph was shot in the studio with a Gandolfi Precision 8x10 inches on Fujichrome Velvia film.



.
 
..





4 comments:

  1. Beauty and power in the words and the image.
    What a portrait. What a song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    You should try to hear the original song.

    Better still, the original album!

    Great stories, fantastic atmosphere.

    No frills...

    Give it a try...

    Greetings,

    Rui

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rui
    Lovely shot, the Gandolfi is a wonderful camera and I think the last great British maker left.
    You and I seem to have a lot in common, not just a love of film (I have a Rolleiflex T and a Leica M4P) but also music. I have the Dylan album (and another 20 or so) you mention.
    Bob has the no 1 album here in the UK at the moment his first since 1970 I believe.
    BTW have you ever turned the LP cover of John Wesley Harding upside down to see the image of the Beatles on the tree behind him?
    Take care.
    Mark Antony
    (Photo Utopia Blog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark,
    I also have and enjoy some other "20 or so" (maybe a couple less...), but "John Wesley Harding" occupies a very special corner deep down in my heart...
    I didn' have yet the chance to hear the new one... To be nr 1 is surely phantastic for such an "old" man!
    Yes, you seem to have a great taste about cameras and music (saying that, does that means that I have it too?).
    Seriously, you are welcomme! I appreciate you enjoy the blog.

    And now I am going to turn that cover upside down. It happens that I am a great Beatle's fan!!!

    Have a nice time,

    Rui

    ReplyDelete