Jan 16, 2009

Guillermo Vázquez Consuegra - Pabellon de la Navegación en Sevilla

...





I had the chance of photographing three of the public buildings built in Sevilla, when the town prepared for celebrating Expo'92. Rafael Moneo's new airport, Cruz y Ortiz new railway station, and the Spanish Pavilion by the sevillian architect Guillermo Vázquez Consuegra, which I take the opportunity to show. I shot the three buildings on assignment from the architectural portuguese magazine "Architécti". In those times, the magazine was still run by the architect Luiz Trigueiros, and I think it's quality level could well qualify as international. We used to cover buildings in depth, usually not less than thirty photographs each work. I used to shoot them all in large format. So, we had dozens of sheet-films to develop when I got back home. Hours and hours of hard work on the Jobo processor, timing the process with a stopwatch!




.




.




.




.




.




.




.




In those times, besides carrying a Sinar f2 and all it's paraphernalia, I used to bring along a really heavy Linhof tripod, one of those kind that lasts forever, built like a german panzer. Also a case full of large-format lenses, plus another case full of sheet-film holders, plus loads of 120 Ektachrome for the roll-film holder... plus light-meters and color-meter, plus cc and various other filters... plus... plus... plus...
Carrying all that through and around those BIG buildings, sometimes having to step away, so that it all fits in those tiny 4x5's...
If you add a minute to think that in Sevilla the temperature often rises well above 40 degrees Celsius, you quickly conclude that I must have been in good shape!

I wish I could sing like The Byrds: "But I was much older then, I'm younger than that now!"...

Have fun!

..

No comments:

Post a Comment